Friday, October 12, 2012

Budget is a buzzkill!

In class we were reminded over and over that this was really about changing behaviors. And damn it I am not so sure I like the behaviors it is changing! What the hell do people do when they feel down and frustrated if they can't shop? Eat? I can't do that either!

So life is definitely throwing some lemons my way right now. My job (thanks to the Governor) is in jeopardy. My job is grant funded. Each year I get to play this game where I (with help from others) write a grant application to the state and after a month or so we get word on whether we are funded or not. Well this year, the rules of the game changed. WE were so used to the old rules, these new rules won't really allow us to be a good player in the game.

So as you can imagine, I'm a little stressed. I might be categorized as an emotional person, on a good day. So add a little (or a lot) of stress and well you've got a stress ball on your hands. A stress ball that just might burst out in tears at a moments notice. (Why do I use SO so often???)

Typically when feeling this way I would do one of two things...or both things really. 1) Shop 2) Eat. After losing 40lbs earlier this year, I'm not really eager to begin stress eating. But I did bake some pretty darn good pumpkin cookies the other night. My next logical thought is, shop, when can I go shopping?  (I almost started with SO again, I have to stop that). With it being so close to Christmas, going shopping is like killing two birds with one stone. I get to medicate my stress with shopping, while actually being productive and getting Christmas gifts. I start thinking this is great!

Then I hear Dave Ramsey's voice in my ear as if he's the little angel sitting on my shoulder "did you save for that?" No Dave I did not save for my emotional melt down. But damn it now your voice is in my head and I won't enjoy shopping. Thank you very much (seriously thank you...my wonderful habits would have added to my waistline and our debt)!

Some day we will get to the point that we have extra money that we don't have a SPECIFIC plan for. Some day I will get to shop whenever I want to, within reason. For now I guess I'm stuck learning how to change my behaviors.

Again, I ask, what do people do when they are an emotional wreck? PLEASE, please don't answer exercise, because I can tell you that is not happening! Yes, that is a behavior I need to change too, but I seriously doubt that it will bring me the type of satisfaction I once found in food and shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment