Sunday, August 10, 2014

Practice

Today’s Inspiration:
“To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it.”
Kurt Vonnegut said that.
I never thought of practice as a way to make my soul grow....until now. This journal challenge, opportunity, whatever you call it, does feel like my soul is growing. Today I felt a longing throughout the day, I longed for my time. My time to sit and write and feel and share me!
Practice has always seemed to me as something I had todo, so I usually shy away from anything with practice, wether it's for fun, learning or fitness.  I think what has kept me from practice of many things is my own mind, I get in my own way.  Doubt. I doubt my ability. I doubt that others will enjoy or care about what I do. I know I shouldn't care about what others think...but I do, particularly when I share my writing, cooking or baking. These are very personal things. 
I doubt my abilities. I doubt my family will think the time I spend on something that takes my focus from them is a waste of time. What is the art I really want to practice? Photography. I've always wanted to take amazing pictures. Pictures that tell a story. It seems there are so many photographers these days. I feel I'd be lost in a sea of photographers. I need to remember no matter how crappy my pictures turn out, the practice is good for my soul.
I think I have always known that practicing an art made your soul grow. Baking. Baking is the art that has always been good for my soul. Happy, sad, stressed, I bake. I share my baked goods.  The art of baking makes my heart smile.
New goals for making my soul grow: keep baking, keep writing, keep taking pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment